Monday, May 24, 2010

Growing Up Is Easy To Do


Not only is it easy, it is rather seamless. Some people have kids and are kind of forced to enter into this phase of life. It just happened for me. One day I give a crap about being "young" and wearing the trends and knowing the most current gossip then the next I don't care. I still want to look presentable, but if I look 35, it's ok.

Last year I would have been mortified to look 34. You can't fight age. All you can do is embrace it and do your best to look your best. Nobody wants to be that lady who wears clothes from the junior department. We all know who they are because its so obvious.

Another reason I notice I am entering the next phase of life is if I am in Macy's with a chance to buy cute clothes or an awesome coffee maker...yeah, I'm going with the awesome coffee maker.

I no longer care what people think of me. I pretty much have spent my adult life not caring what people think of me, but it is more pronounced now. If you don't like me...that's your problem, not mine.

I am starting to see how I used to be in younger people now. When I was in my mid to late 20's, I was so freaking ambitious and wanted so badly to be the golden child at work that I once arranged a limo, Mediteranian dinner w/belly dancer at a restarant in Dallas for my Boss and all his direct reports...who had to fly in. Yeah, I thought I was the shit. Looking back now, if I were one his direct reports would have been rolling my eyes and wondering why the young'en was trying so hard.

It's just so funny how life changes over time and how much more comfortable I am with myself now. I no longer feel I have to impress, dress, or wow anyone. I do the best I can do at my job, I am a good friend, and I try to not look like a mess. And I am happier than I have ever been.

No comments: