Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Celebrities and Politics


In an article by Us Weekly, Carrie Underwood shares her opinion about celebrities and politics. I have always said Politics and Religion should be kept private...no matter who you are. It just causes so much tension and unrest. I agree with Carrie Underwood (well not the whole respect thing, but you get the idea).

Carrie Underwood: I "Lose All Respect" for Stars When They Back a Candidate"

"There is someone I do support, but I don't support publicly," she tells TV Guide, as excerpted by Just Jared. "I lose all respect for celebrities when they back a candidate.

"It's saying that the American public isn't smart enough to make their own decisions," she goes on. "I would never want anybody to vote for anything or anybody just because I told them to."

Perez Hilton posted on his blog that her statement was unfair. He says that this is America and she should appreciate how people express themselves politically. Well, Perez...this is her opinion on the subject. Is it not a right as an American for Carrie Underwood to express her opinion too? I know when I express my views on this matter, I generalize. I am not saying that EVERYONE is swayed by the media. Generalizing is the key word here. The one thing I do know is that our culture has become celebrity obsessed and with that being said, I can certainly see how they can sway anyone undecided or anyone who doesn't do their homework. Isn't that their motive in the first place?

No comments: