Monday, November 10, 2008

Sharkwater


If you know me, then you know I love sharks. I have been fixated on them since 2nd grade when I checked a book out from the library about them and saw my first shark nature program on PBS. I don't scuba dive - I've tried, but too scared and not good at it. Also, as much as I love sharks, I wouldn't want to come face to face with one. I do know they are more scared of us than we are of them and the probability of being attacked is next to nothing. But I digress...

Last night I watched a new documentary called Sharkwater. It was very good, but very sad. I was actually crying by the end of it. The purpose of this movie was to bring attention to the soon to be extinct fish that have been around since the beginning of time. Sharks have survived multiple extinctions, but not for much longer if we don't do anything about it. The show focused on fisherman hunting sharks for their fins to sell. Shark fin soup is considered a luxury item and measure of status and wealth in China and other Asian countries. There is so much money in fins that only trafficking drugs rivals fins for profit. Sharks are vital to our existence on earth as human beings and without them, our oceans will die.

www.savingsharks.com

No comments: