Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Bumble Bee Story


I am truly blessed to be surrounded with the friends I have. I saw a quote online that said "A friend is one who believes in you when you have ceased to believe in yourself." That could not have rang more true for me last night. I met my friend Catie for dinner and she showed up with a very unexpected gift for me. She said she saw it and it made her think of me and there was a story behind it. I opened the James Avery bag to find a sterling silver bracelet with a Bumble Bee charm. She asked if I had heard of the Bumble Bee story, and I had not. The Bumble Bee story goes as follows:

Bees are the symbol of fertility and sexuality.
Its honeycomb, a hexagon, is the symbol of the heart and
represents the sweetness of life found within our own heart.
It is also the symbol of the sun and all its energies.

The bee reminds us to extract the honey of life
and to make our lives fertile (productive) while the sun shines.
No matter how great the dream is, there is the promise of fulfillment
if we pursue our dreams.

If a Bee has shown up in your life, examine your own productivity.
Are you doing all you can to make your life more fertile?
Are you busy enough?
Are you making time to savor the honey of life and not becoming a workaholic?

The Bee is the symbol of accomplishing the impossible.
Aerodynamically, its body is too large for its wings and should not be able to fly.
Although now we understand how it does fly (high rate of wing movement),
the Bee remains a symbol of accomplishing anything you put your mind to.

In Hinduism, the Bee relates to Vishnu, Krishna or Kama, the God of Love.
In Egypt, the Bee symbolized royalty.
In Greece, it was the symbol of the Eleusinian Mysteries.
The Celts associated the Bee with hidden wisdom.


Catie is pregnant with her first child, a baby girl. She is due in a month and I couldn't be more ecstatic for her!

No comments: